Monday, October 13, 2008

Modern Furniture and Love Seat etc.

Mies Pavilion Love Seat

The above photo of modern furniture's Mies Pavilion Loveseat attracted my eye. Why? It looked mighty familiar. I remembered drawing a 3D model of exactly the same design with AutoCAD and teaching Furniture Technology students "Introduction to CADCAM" (CADCAM = Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing) many years ago. I distinctly remembered the shape of the legs. It was exactly the same design but called a different name. It was more than 30 years ago and I can't remember the name for that seat anymore. It is a nice simple but elegant design.

At modern bedroom, I found more designs of simple elegant furniture design which would be easily amenable to 3D modeling which can also easily be done by students, like the example of a modern platform bed below:

modern platform bed

At modern living room however, I found some challenging design like the ZU-drop stool below:

ZU-Drop stool

While the spherical shape will be easy to model using what in 3D modeling "primitives", the complex curve surface of the top of the stool will be very difficult to duplicate.

If I ever get the time, I would like to create a 3D model of my house with 3D models of all the furniture, modern or otherwise. I have some antique furniture with carvings that will be extremely difficult to model.

No comments: