Moving HouseThis, moving house, is one thing I dread. Small personal items are OK and easy to move, but when it comes to bulky electrical appliances and furniture removal, that is a different "kettle of fish".
Removal ServicesThe first thing one need to do is to draw up a list of bulky furniture that will be involved in the removals. Check the local classified for removal quotes and see if they give a discount. A discount given can make a great difference in your removal cost.
Photo of removal van is property of Gareth Saunders
Then prepare for the great day. Most of the small items should be organized and packed into small boxes like the above for easy removal.
Tips on moving house from Gareth SaundersOne thing I've found really helpful, if you're packing bits and pieces yourself is to organise for yourself a "packing box".
This is a small cardboard box (say 30cm x 30cm) into which you throw all the tools that you need when packing, such as:
1. Parcel tape (and parcel tape 'gun' if you have one -- they can be really handy); Gaffa tape can be handy too
2. Stanley knife (or pen knife, or scissors)
3. Cable ties or string
4. Screwdriver(s): flat blade and Philips/cross-head
5. Envelopes to put unscrewed screws and bolts into
6. Labels for sticking to boxes
7. Permanent marker pen (black)
8. Gloves (to protect your hands when lifting certain items)
9. Measuring tape (you'd be surprised how handy these are!)
10. Sheets of paper, for making notes/notices/labels/etc.
If you put everything back into the Packing Box when you're done packing something you'll know where everything is the next time, rather than having to hunt round the house for where you left each item.
I've moved house a number of times in the last few years and have found this approach really useful.