Wednesday, October 05, 2005

First attempt - planting malabar spinach

Although I have said that I am putting off organic farming for a while for the dengue fever outbreak to blow over, I decided to try to plant the Malabar spinach, yes that maintainance free plant, as it will not involve me spending much time in the garden. As mentioned in my previous post, I have been trying to get my hands on some malabar spinach berries (or seeds), without much luck. This morning, I decided to try my luck at the wet market to see if I can get some seeds, also because I heard it can be grown from cuttings (vegetative propagation). Couldn't get any seeds, but the vegetable seller confirmed it can be grown from cuttings. So I purchased some (RM1.60 or about USD0.60 worth). I have cut off the leaves and planted the stems into pots. Time spent in the garden - 10 minutes. Will put up some photos when I get my hands on a digital camera. In the meantime, if you are curious how the Malabar spinach looks like, plus a brief description, follow the link below:

Malabar Spinach or Indian Spinach - basella alba, b. rubra, b. cordifolia

1 comment:

Lose Weight said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.